Saturday, February 28, 2009

Daniel

Well I am not sure how many of you follow my blog so as I sit at work this quiet Saturday morning I thought I would post a blog here about Dan's recent adventures. I call them adventures because life is an adventure and he is always creating new experiences for us. HA!

On January 26th he was on a Motorist Assist call at about 7 am. We have had massive amounts of snow and he was called to help a lady get her car out of an intersection because she was stuck. Well in the process of helping her he as the doctors call it ruptured the tendons and muscle of his right bicep off the bone. He was able to get back into his patrol car and drive back to the station where he had the ambulance meet him. They transport him to the hospital. As I am getting ready to literally walk out the door to take the girls to school the phone rings and the caller id show the hospital calling. Never a good thing but not as scary as the Lt. or Sgt. calling...believe me I have gotten those calls too. Anyway it's Dan calling to let me know that I am going to need to come and get him. They had splinted his arm and later that day he had an appointment with the orthopedic doctor who without much of an examination said "Yep we are gonna have to operate". So surgery was scheduled for Thursday. It went exactly as planned. Then Dan decided to not wake up from the anesthesia and had to be transported from the outpatient surgical center down to the hospital. He under went lots of test to make sure he didn't have a blood clot..which he didn't. He spent the night on oxygen after they decided that he had just been over sedated. He was able to come home the next afternoon.

His arm has been completely immobile now for 5 weeks. He goes back to the doctor on Monday and we have been told he will be put into a brace with a dial and hinges so they can regulate the motion in his arm because they will have to "retrain" the tendons to move.

He has been completely off work and is going stir crazy at home. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks he will be back to work on light duty. He hates to push paper but that is gonna be the choice he has for awhile. My boss even said she has some stuff he can do down here in dispatch so that will be good.

So there is an update...plus I thought this blog needed a new post.

2 comments:

lybbertgirl said...

Wow, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. We wish you a speedy recovery!

Brenda and family

tim lybbert said...

boys will be boys...ok,, my turn